|HIV ATTACHMENT courtesy of Sanao|
Truvada ® (manufactured by Gilead Sciences) is indicated for treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults and children 12 yeas of age and older, provided it is given with other anti-retroviral agents. It is a pill composed of two anti-HIV drugs such as Emtriva ® (emtricitabine 200 mg) and Viread ® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg). This drug is said to be taken once a day with or without food.
Truvada ® is a type of medicine called HIV-1 nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor meaning it helps block the enzyme (HIV-1 reverse transcriptase) needed in multiplying the HIV-1. HIV infection makes the immune system weak by destroying the CD4*T cells. But with the help of this drug, HIV-1 in the blood is reduced and number of CD4*T cells is increased; therefore, the chance of infections or death due to weak immune system (opportunistic infection) is reduced.
Please note that Truvada ® is not a cure for HIV-1 infection or AIDS. Chances of not passing the HIV-1 to other people by sexual contact, sharing needles , or being exposed to blood is not reduced when using this drug. Truvada ® should only be taken with other anti-HIV drugs.
- Didanosine: Didanosine concentrations is increased by Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate
- Atazanavir: When taken together with Truvada ®, atazanavir concentrations decrease and tenofovir concentrations increase.
- Lopinavir/ritonavir: When taken together with Truvada ®, tenofovir concentrations increase.
- Atripla ® (efavirenz 600mg/emtricitabine 200mg/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300mg)
- Viread ® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300mg)
- Emtriva ® (emtricitabine 200mg)
- Combivir ® (lamivudine/zidovudine)
- Epivir or Epivir-HBV ® (lamivudine)
- Epzicom ® (abacavir sulfate/lamivudine)
- Trizivir ® (abacavir sulfate/lamivudine/zidovudine)
FDA US first approved this drug in the year 2004 for Combination treatment of HIV. Starting 2010, results of studies and researches lead Truvada ® to the headlines. Government researchers found out that it could actually prevent the infection. Gilead Sciences is awaiting for FDA's decision whether Truvada ® can be classified as first drug to prevent HIV. After submitting all additional materials and documentations, it will take three more months to review its application for the claim.
FULL PRESCRIBING INFORMATION
Note: Truvada ® is available in US only.
The information and reference materials contained here are intended solely for the general information of the reader and NOT intended to replace the advice of a doctor. The owner of this site disclaims any responsibility for the decisions you make based on this information. If you have any health-related questions, persistent health condition or before taking any medication, please consult your health care provider.